Aug 22, 2009

History

I am what you call a late bloomer, in large part, thanks to my relatively good genes. Besides the occasional pimples here and there, I didn't have any major acne problems growing up. As a result, I didn't really become interested in skincare until I was in college. I don't even remember what kind of face wash I used when I was a teenager. Probably some cheap drugstore brand that my parents are willing to buy for me. Only face wash, there was no toner/moisturizer/spf/mask or whatsoever.

For the longest time since college, I stucked by the standard skincare regimen of cleanse, tone and moisturize. Occasionally I do some scrubs and mask. That's about it. My skin wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. I have large pores, blackheads, whiteheads, dull skin and it's just blah. I thought, oh well, I did everything I could so I guess this is as good as it will ever get.

My revelation came this past summer, when I went home and was persuaded into getting a 4 hours long facial. It sounds really long but it was over before I knew it. To my surprise, the esthetician told me that my skin is very dry. How can it be possible for oily skin to be dry but apparently it is very common. Oily = too much oil; dry = not enough water. They are not really connected so she advised me to use oil free and water base products such as serum/essence/ampules, which are almost unheard of in the US. Anyways, after my facial, my skin started to peel (I freaked, of course) but when the dead skin was all gone, I could not believe how smooth and supple my skin was. I honestly did not think it was possible for my skin to be this smooth. I kept telling my mom I am snake cuz I molted.

My skin has been reborn!!!

Of course, the smoothness only lasted for few weeks and it was back to normal. I didn't really maintain it. I was on vacation and so was my skincare regimen. When I returned from my vacation, I begun my hunt of these elusive water base products. After scouring the internet for days, I found it and a lot more. My skin is definitely a lot better now and my husband can't stop touching my face cuz 'it is so smooth', he said.

Now, I am more obsessed with skincare products than ever.

No comments: